On this page you will find a lot of in tray exercises and some useful resources that you can refer to when you prepare your answers.
Use these General Tips when approaching common topics in the Management Viva.
Your in-tray may include the following items:
- A profile of your department
- A diary for the day
- Meeting email/agenda item
- Job advert (internal/external)
- Email/note from colleagues or other departments
- Flyer - courses/equipment
- Email/note relating to patient safety incident (usually very important)
- Email/note relating to under performing/struggling doctor/staff member
Remember, when you start the viva:
- Patient safety is paramount
- Read fast
- Prioritise your day
- Find links between items and with the diary
- Comment on all pieces of information
- Delegate tasks where possible and assume that nothing is trivial enough to go in the bin
- Patient safety is paramount!!!!
Diary for the day
Guide Dog Walkers
Paul Wellington Roger SpR
Potential case of Avian Flu
Useful resources for the management exam
Here are some useful resources. You can also look at the Consultant Interview page for more management related topics.
Incident Reporting: example of protocol for PAT
Complaints Procedure for Scotland
Complaints Procedure for Wales
Under performing Doctors
NCAS (link): How to conduct a local performance investigation
Confidentiality and Consent
CEM 2011 - Clinical Quality Indicators Implementation
BMA Ethics - Blood taking from drivers